Chutes and Ladders

I finally snagged some pictures of the living and dining room when they were somewhat clean. We also hung up the pictures a couple weeks ago so it finally feels more finished. Don’t be fooled though, we still need to put in baseboards and some things have already changed since I took these pictures.

Living Room

Dining Room

I think it was a couple months ago that Brian and I were talking in our master bathroom about what we want to do with it. Why does it need discussing? Because that bathroom and I do NOT get along.

Reason #1: The toilet and vanity were built for someone at least 7 feet tall. I have to stand on my tippy-toes to wash my face and brush my teeth and, at the risk of giving you too much of a mental picture, my legs dangle freely when I use the toilet and they brush the bowl, which I find cold and disgusting. This project is bigger than we want to take on right now because I’m pretty sure if we change those pieces, I want new tile as well. I will just have to endure using Shaquille O’Neal’s bathroom for the time-being.

Reason #2: There is no good spot for a hamper and after 8 years of marriage, I've learned if we don’t have a hamper in the bathroom, Brian’s clothes take over and try to dominate the world. As we were discussing options, we realized the laundry room and the bathroom share a wall and it was instantly decided we should put in a little laundry chute.

Brian is a very clever craftsman and after researching options he proposed we buy an armoire of sorts that will accommodate a laundry basket on each side; he would then put in a his/hers laundry chute system.

Our laundry room is a very open, multi-purpose area. It’s a laundry room/sunroom/mudroom/back-yard entrance off of the kitchen, so we don’t want a pile of clothes available for the world to see. The armoire will keep our unmentionables hidden and keep the room looking nice and presentable.

The armoire arrived on Friday and that motivated Brian to start working on it. He labored all day Saturday and then woke up Sunday morning and changed his mind on how he wanted it to look. Otherwise, everything went according to plan. The studs were perfectly spaced. It’s like it was made with his/hers laundry chute in mind.

So, here’s where we stand now:
He ordered some doors to put in the bathroom side to make it look more inconspicuous, and we’ll go from there. I’m pleased with how it looks and I’m excited that we thought of it and that Brian is able to bring things like that to life. Now all we need is a cheat for getting the clothes back to the closet after they are washed (preferably ironed and hung up).

View so far from our bathroom. He has since painted these white.

The armoire on the other side

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jaime Needs...

Dude, 2022 was Intense

February 16, 2011