As the World Turns...Things Slowly Get Done



~I wrote this 9/23/13 and then I slacked off and didn’t post it. Pretend it’s Sept 23; that was a Monday, to help you set the stage.~

The house is coming along, slowly but surely. I haven’t been taking pictures because we’ve been working on all the little stuff that you probably won’t notice, but that needs to be done. You know, like painting the 6th coat of white on the trim around doors and windows. BOOOOOOORRRING. This is the part of house projects that I hate. I like a lot of bang for my work and when we get to the minute details I lose interest. That’s when Brian steps in, ignores my whining, and tells me to do one more coat.*

*If he even lets me help at all. He’s learned that the result of me not being interested in the details is that I get careless in my work (i.e. I stop paying attention and end up missing spots or I accidentally color outside the lines).

We had our first real ‘company’ this past weekend! It was a pleasure to have friends come visit and it also proved a great motivator to get the guestroom finished. It turned out to be a totally rad room and now I wish it was our master bedroom. Here’s a peak- come visit to see the whole thing and find out why we love how it turned out.


 In other news, Stella had a bad week last week. Earlier in the week she didn’t realize the doggie door was shut and barreled into it at full speed. Shortly after, a nearby side door was open (blocking the doggie door) so even though the doggie door was open she smashed her face into the other door. On Wednesday we had fantastical thunderstorms intermittently throughout the day and she ripped up the carpet by the door and pooped on the floor. Therefore, her week consisted of head trauma, stress, and being yelled at, only to be followed up by the loss of her 2 front teeth.

We noticed she was licking her lips, she wouldn’t shut her mouth all the way, and she was clawing at her face. We did some investigating only to find one tooth missing and the other very loose. We took her to the vet where they informed us doggie door/teeth accidents are fairly common as well as dogs losing their front teeth due to them weakening because they aren’t used much. We’re hoping the tooth falls out soon so we don’t have to pay to have it extracted (update: it did but Brian nixed my tooth fairy idea); and now our dog is channeling hillbillies and/or meth-users. Wah wah. [I tried to get a picture for you but she was less than cooperative.]

We finally had a break in the rain so Brian could mow the lawn for the first time in 2 weeks. 

{Here’s some background information: Brian had a lawn mowing business in high school. I, on the other hand, have never touched a lawn mower.} 

After he was done mowing the lawn, I was reflecting and said: “I just realized the sound of a lawn mower is a comforting sound to me. It must remind me of my childhood”. To which Brian replied: “I wouldn’t know. I’ve never heard a lawn mower from inside a house”.

Please note: Earlier that day I asked Brian if he would like me to learn to use a lawn mower and he said, “Nah, you’d end up chopping of your arm”. Excuse me, but if I were to chop anything off, it would be my toe. I’m not a complete idiot. Regardless, I have now documented that I at least offered.

You’ve probably all heard about the flooding in Colorado. Luckily we have not had to deal with any of it (Yet. Knock on wood). Two weekends ago I flew to Spokane to go to my BFF from college’s wedding (yay!) so I had to drive to Denver by myself for my flight. What a nerve wrecking drive. I’m already excellent at worrying when there’s nothing to worry about, so throw in massive flooding and I about die. 

It’s heartbreaking to see more devastation in Colorado and it is a very sobering reminder of how small we are and how little control we have in the grand scheme of things.

Oct 3, 2013: Picking up where I left off…

I go back to Spokane tonight (with Brian this time) to attend my 10 year college reunion.  
Um, 10 years? Whatever.

I’m excited to see some good friends and hopefully revert back to how we were 1999-2003 because we were pretty awesome.  And, there may or may not be hula-hoop wars, just probably not at 3am this time. 

(I’m pretty sure my roommate and I decided it was a good idea to stay up all night one time and hula hoop at least once every hour. It was hard work, but it taught me a lot about determination.)

Whelp, see you on the flip side!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jaime Needs...

Dude, 2022 was Intense

February 16, 2011