A little side note...

Lately I've been trying to follow the guidelines for the "Eat Right 4 Your Blood-type" diet. I'm type A+ which is a great grade to receive but a really challenging diet to follow. In a nutshell, the way I perceive it is that it's vegan, gluten-free, with limited veggies and fruit. Humph.

There are actually a lot of things that are still available they just aren't the typical things I've been eating for the past 30 years so it makes my brain cramp to think outside the box so much.

But, tonight I made lentil patties & both Brian and I went back for more. First I had to learn to cook lentils and the rest was easy. I thought I'd share the recipe in case anyone else is interested.

First thing's first- How to Cook Lentils
A couple things to know:
1 cup of dry lentils = 2 cups cooked lentils
Always use a 2:1 ratio. 2 parts H2O : 1 part lentils

1. Put your desired amount of dry lentils in a pan & cover with the corresponding amount of cold, quality H2O
2. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer
3. Cook until they reach desired tenderness. The time can range from 15 minutes to an hour. For me, I found they were just right after about 25 minutes
4. Only add salt after they are done cooking. I just sprinkled a little bit and stirred
5. I didn't have any left over water (in fact, I added a little bit in the process) so I didn't need to drain them or anything- set them aside

And now, here is the Lentil Patties Recipe:
8 oz drained lentils
1 egg
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 carrot, grated
1 cup herbs & chives (I used dried parsley, oregano, basil, and thyme for my herbs)
2 TBL flour (I cheated here and used normal flour)
1 TBL olive oil (I used grape seed oil)

1. Whisk egg
2. Add all the other ingredients
3. Form into patties
4. Cook in olive oil (again, I used grape seed oil) and press patties down to make firm
5. Allow each side to brown & crisp
6. Serve!

I put a little bit of mozzarella on top and put a little bit of hot sauce on mine (the hot sauce was my other little cheat). It was also good paired with corn chips. We didn't use buns but you certainly could if you wanted to.

Pictures of my food just never look appetizing so I tried to find one online. Turns out pictures of lentil patties are best left for the imagination.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dude, 2022 was Intense

Jaime Needs...

February 16, 2011