Getting Old is for the Birds (but Mexico is Nice)

The title of this post is a direct quote from my Nana (minus the part about Mexico) and I find it to be a pretty universal sentiment. I decided on that title because that's been my mantra for the month of March.

Anyway, we did Mexico!
Let me talk about the food: A-mazing.

Not only did it taste delightful but all I had to do in order to enjoy it was sit on the beach until the gong rang. Then I would go to a table on the beach and they would just bring me food. I didn't have to look at a menu or try to decide. They just filled my table with amazing food; far too much food for the mere two people eating it. Aaaand, they ruined me. Now planning a meal, going to the store, and preparing said meal feels like more torture than it used to. I need to get rich and hire an in-house chef. Like, now.

I'll leave the rest to the captions:

There were 4 labs that lived there. Lady (pictured) would bark whenever she sensed a whale or dolphin. We did get to see some whales breaching and some dolphins pass by while we ate breakfast one morning. That was something I had never experienced before!
One night they treated us to a candle-lit group meal on the beach. Pretty magical and oh. my. gosh. the food!
At night, the resort was lit by candle light. There were candles everywhere, including the chandelier, along every path through the jungle, and they would light candles in everyone's Casita while we were eating dinner. 
We spent most of each day reading on the beach, sometimes swimming, and waiting for the next meal gong to ring.

So cozy and relaxing. I even fell asleep on the beach. That was a big deal for me and might have been my favorite experience of the trip. I rarely fall asleep in public, let alone take naps.
We went on a 4 mile hike to a waterfall/swimming hole. This guy just stared at me and did not make me waffles.


We went to the nearby fishing village of Yelapa.
We had drinks and bought the best coconut pie I've ever tasted in my life from some lady with pieces of pie in a tupperware bowl.

I took this picture and then a guy appeared and said you could take a picture of his donkey for 20 pesos. shhh.
Boat ride back from Yelapa.
The view from our Casita/bed. Sigh.
And then it started raining (sheets of rain) and didn't stop for over 12 hours. Did I mention we had to take a non-covered 20 minute boat-ride in this storm to get back to another cove, to catch our cab to the airport? Yes, we got to the airport looking like wet cats.
The moral of the story: go to Mahajuitas Resort. Their land lease is up in 2016 so you only have one more season to go!

The only thumbs down for this trip was getting home and getting a nasty case of what now appears to have been something like giardia. It took me two weeks to finally admit defeat and go to the doctor.

So now I can't even go anywhere cool without my body saying, "Nuh-uh. You're old and you're going to pay for this."

Brian and I spent most of this week visiting the hospital because Brian decided to trump my Montezuma's Revenge by cultivating a giant kidney stone. I hope we don't continue trying to one-up (out-old) each other.

My birthday was on Sunday, which we spent in the hospital, and all I can say is that 34 did a crap job of making a good first impression. While getting old really is for the birds, I've decided the only way I'll survive getting older is to try to forget how it felt to be in my 20's so I stop feeling so resentful.

All inconveniences aside, life is good and I know someday I'll look back at being 34 and think, "that is so young!" just like I look at 16 year-old kids driving and think, "You're like 8. Get in the back seat."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jaime Needs...

Dude, 2022 was Intense

February 16, 2011