Don't Let Glamour Dies

I’ve never been much of a girly-girl (I usually just barely “get by”) but today I’m going to share my latest beauty secret.

Let me begin by saying that I have some of the greasiest hair this side of the Mississippi. I have been a slave to washing my hair every day for as long as I can remember. If I don’t, my hair likes to shout to the world, “Hey! Look! She didn’t wash me! Look how gross I am! I’m a jerk!”

It has become a stress trigger for me. If I go somewhere and find out there aren’t showers I immediately start my deep breathing exercises to calm myself down, especially if I don’t have a hat. Call me vain but greasy hair is embarrassing. And when you’ve lived with it for as long as I have, and have had good friends accidentally blurt out “ew” when they see your hair, or ask you when you had time to take a quick shower because it looks so wet, you get pretty self-conscious.

I do have to give myself props- I survived a summer at an adventure camp where we only showered about once a week. It helps when you don’t have access to a mirror; ignorance really is bliss.

Anywho, about a month ago I was perusing Pinterest and saw a recipe for homemade dry shampoo. I am a hopeless romantic when it comes to dry shampoos. I always think there’s a chance one might work, even though every product I’ve tried is not strong enough to combat the oils I produce. This recipe seemed simple enough and I was excited to see it even had a version for dark hair {there’s nothing worse than using white powders in your dark hair. The goal is to be inconspicuous, people, and the world is not made up of all blonds}. The recipe is just equal parts corn starch and cocoa powder. Super simple and made up of stuff I always have on hand. I used an old make-up brush to apply it to the problem areas and let it soak in. I found I hardly even needed to brush it out and, BONUS, I smelled like chocolate. I was self-conscious all day, constantly checking myself in the mirror to make sure it was still working and I was very impressed! Now, my hair still feels dirty to the touch but most people don't touch my hair, so... we're good on that front.

I’ve been washing my hair every other day since I made the discovery. It was a huge deal for me to go to work with unwashed hair and when I was able to (and I didn’t feel like a homeless person) I knew I’d finally found something that worked for me. It’s so freeing!

At this point I find that I almost look forward the non-shampoo days because my hair has more volume and now I understand why, whenever I’ve had my hair done for prom or weddings, they always asked me to come with dirty hair. (I always washed mine, much to their chagrin, because, are you crazy?)

Here is the website: http://wellnessmama.com/5047/diy-dry-shampoo/

I skipped the essential oils. It seemed counterproductive to add more oils to the mix when it’s oil I’m trying to get rid of.

Whew. It only took me 30-some years to find something that works.

Dirty hair- but not disgusting hair

Now, I’m off to continue my quest to find the magic DIY pimple remedy that actually works for my skin.
P.S. The title of this post pays homage to my friend, Alicia (Hi Alicia!), and her French shirt. She studied abroad in France for a semester and came back with a shirt that said, "Don't let glamour dies" and that statement has been a part of my regular vocabulary ever since.



Comments

  1. Sister, I too wash my hair almost every day, so am very excited to try this cocoa/cornstarch recipe out. I also like the brand Klorane (they have it at Sephora), but very much favor the diy method. Wish I still had that dang shirt, I could have worn it to the reunion!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jaime Needs...

Dude, 2022 was Intense

February 16, 2011