Glenwood Springs: 6 Month Review

February marked our 6th month anniversary in Glenwood Springs and I kind of feel like if I have to have a 6 month review at work, Glenwood should have one, too. Really I'm just feeling reflective (and I'm killing time waiting for Brian to go snowboarding so I can watch my stories). 

Glenwood Springs has proven to have many strengths:
  • I love feeling like I live in a city but we're still in the mountains.
  • I love that we're so far away from Denver that I-70 is actually still a functioning method of travel the majority of the time- even weekends. If you're not from Colorado, let me explain. I-70 is the main artery to the mountains/ski slopes. Denver people all go up on the same day and go back down on the same day which means it ends up taking you 2 hours to go 20 miles. I have peed in a water bottle on I-70. As an adult. Not kidding.
  • It's incredibly beautiful here on the western slope. I have been brought to tears on many occasions by the scenery. Part of that was Mumford and Sons releasing their new album when we moved here (playing Mumford and Sons whilst viewing beautiful scenery will bring me to tears about 80% of the time).
  • Moving here has turned me into a cook. I know. I haven't had chips and salsa as a meal for...well...I can't even remember how long. I don't know that the city of Glenwood can take credit for this feat but if we hadn't moved here, it probably wouldn't have happened. 
  • The newspaper here is free and I love free stuff. Sometimes I'll go get one just because I can.
  • We hardly have to drive. I always laugh at Brian because we'll get in the car to go somewhere and 4 times out of 5 he'll miss the turn. 
  • We can be hiking/snowshoeing in amazing areas with little effort.
  • I feel very connected to the history of Colorado here. I can't always explain it because it's more of a feeling. We went to a little concert put on by CMC in Rifle last Friday. It was a band called "Honey Don't" and as they were playing I found myself feeling very lucky to be living here where the railroad is active, we have a saloon/tavern, and the little pioneer graveyard up on the hill. I work in a building that is shared with the Glenwood Springs Chamber & Visitor Center. My cubicle is in the balcony overlooking the chamber area so I get to hear all the visitors as they come in and talk with the ladies at the chamber. I hear all about the history of the city and of course, Doc Holliday, our most revered dentist-turned-gunslinger. I enjoy hearing all about it and feel lucky to call this town my home. A while ago I realized I didn't know anything about my State's history. I asked my mom why I never learned about it in school and she laughed and asked me if I was present at all during my 4th grade year. I apologize to my 4th grade teachers but I honestly don't remember learning anything about Colorado History. Maybe a couple things. I vaguely remember writing a paper about flap jacks and I remember reading about Zebulon Pike and his attempts to climb Pike's Peak; which he never did accomplish, by the way- he determined it was physically impossible to climb. I remember thinking it was pretty dumb that it was named after him when he didn't even climb it. All tangents aside, I have always loved Colorado, have always felt like I was born where I belong, and it's been neat for me to feel even more connected to my home.
  • The hot springs. There's an off-season locals pass that allows you to go as often as you want unless it's during the summer months. I figure we got the better end of the deal- hot springs just aren't as fun in 100 degree weather. We've been going at night when there's a low-laying fog from the steam and you crouch on the stairs to stay warm as long as possible before you get out into the frigid air to go get your stuff.
  • We have an amusement park only accessible by gondola. I haven't gone yet but, I still think it's awesome. 
At the risk of droning on and on and on, I'll switch to some of Glenwood's improvement opportunities related specifically to us:
  • Elusive young people. I see you on the street! Where do you live? Where do you hang out? How do I meet you? We had some Denver friends stay with us one night and we shared our plight and while walking to dinner they suggested we walk up to young people on the street and ask, "Where are you all day and what church do you go to?"
  • Speaking of church- still no young people in the churches we've attended
  • We got another complaint about Stella barking when we're not home. I am SO yearning for a freestanding home that doesn't share walls with anyone else. 
  • There's no Red Robin, H&M, IKEA, or large craft store and sometimes when I go grocery shopping, they just plumb don't have what I need. Oh, I also reallllly miss Sunflower market.
  • Small town shops are great and I want to support them but they didn't get the memo that I don't buy things for over $15.
  • My little introverted self is really struggling with the fact that on many occasions when you go into a shop or a restaurant, the chances are high that you'll be the only patron there. I have a very hard time standing out like a sore thumb. I'm working on it but it's been difficult.
Here's another tangent:

Our lease is up in August but Brian decided it would be good to meet with a Realtor now to talk about what our plans are and find out if what we are looking for with the budget we have in mind is doable in Glenwood Springs. He met with her on Wednesday and she said a lot of homes will come up for short sale and it takes months to get the paperwork finalized so it doesn't hurt to start looking now. The next day she called us about a new house on the market that meets our specifications so we went to look at it yesterday and...be-still-my-beating-heart-I-want-that-house. Two things:
  1. It's not short sale so we'd have to be ready now
  2. We're not. We have our lease and we're still saving up for a down-payment
I think that I want a house so heart-achingly bad that I just fall in love immediately with whatever I see. Brian's all like "It's just good to know that what we want is feasible in our budget and we can feel good that something else will come along" and I'm all like, "Waaaaah, I already know where I want to put the couch. Can I pleeeeze have it?" I told Brian that my heart can't handle looking at any more homes until we're actually in a place to say "yes, let's put in an offer" so he's on his own if he wants to see more. I'm praying my little heart out that something will come along that we'll love when it's time and that God will give me patience.

Okay, Brian just left and I'm fairly certain you are tired of reading this (if you're even still reading). I know I write long posts. It's because I don't talk much in real life and it's also because I like to go back and read these so, I selfishly don't care if you're bored. Love you! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dude, 2022 was Intense

Jaime Needs...

February 16, 2011