Our Plight to Find Friends

I'm sharing this at the risk of sounding uber-lonely and /or creepy:

For a while now I've felt like Brian and I are cursed. I don't know what magical being we disturbed but it seems to have cursed us to never have really good friends. That's not to say we haven't had great friends over the years but not really the kindred spirit type where you just know, "We are going to be BEST friends". They are the people you instantly feel comfortable around and who are easy to be with. Friends you don't have to go out of your way to plan a time to hang out- it's a given that you'll be hanging out or stopping by. The Academy Awards are on? Which house should we use? There's a sale going on? What time should we go?

I know I'm not having a pipe dream. It's happened to me before and I want it again.

However, here's how our curse plays out:

We meet people who potentially fit that bill and shortly after we start hanging out with them they announce they are moving away.

We started to notice a trend after about the third "We're moving!" announcement at which point we started to become gun-shy. We'd go to something and one of us might say, "I really liked so and so. I think we could end up being good friends" and then we'd gasp, cover our mouths, and wait for the inevitable announcement. It feels hopeless to even try to make friends; it's already hard enough as an introvert to make friends only to have your efforts be in vain.

You might think I'm kidding but it's getting worse. A month ago Brian semi-jokingly made a comment that one of the tattoo guys was his closest friend since we moved. He would be outside smoking when Brian would take Stella out and they would chat. Oddly enough, Brian knows more about him than anyone else we've met so far and...

Last week Brian found out he's moving. It's starting to feel like a sick joke.

In summation, if you are dying to get out of town (or Colorado) come hang out with us and you'll get your wish. Or, if you're up for a challenge and want to beat the curse PLEASE find us! We'd love to meet you.


Comments

  1. Jaime, this post cracked me up for the only reason that Peter and I can TOTALLY relate to it! We are constantly talking about this and I have to say having a baby didn't help. I assumed I'd all the sudden have all these "mom friends" and we'd have the best play dates ever with our kids. Nope. Because I don't have any friends with kids. I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering from this though I do hope you guys make some great friends who never move away from you.

    Katie Johnson

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jaime Needs...

Dude, 2022 was Intense

February 16, 2011