Chapter 5: My Job

What is the definition of a miracle?

1. A surprising & welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws & considered to be divine
2. A highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment

As mentioned before (ad nausea), our move to Glenwood has felt miraculous to us. Highly unlikely yet it all fell into place as if it was divinely orchestrated. Therefore, I was expecting "Chapter 5" to be the miracle of me finding a job. I haven't written much about it yet because it has not felt miraculous and I've been bummed about it. However, I'm open to finding the deeper miracle in the situation. Maybe by writing about it, I'll find it.

Here is my concept of how things would go:

1. I would interview for a full-time job
2. I would get hired for that job
3. It would be perfect for me
4. A unicorn would show up at my door and give me gummy bears

TAH-DAH!

Things were looking good, too. There was a full-time job that popped up and on paper it seemed perfect for me. It continued to look like I was going to get my miracle when I got the call for an interview. But then, dun dun dunnnn, I didn't get the job (as you know). 

Cancel the miracle. 

Return the unicorn.

Humph.

I later learned that the person who got the job has worked part-time for the company for 6 years. That changes things. I'm glad the company cares about their employees enough to provide them with opportunities to advance and give them priority over some unknown city girl who comes to Glenwood expecting everything to go her way.

Maybe the miracle is that a nice lady Brian had a brief conversation with heard a department was going to need to hire temporary part-time help and emailed the department telling them to hire me. And maybe the miracle is that these nice people met with me and 5 minutes into our meeting they started the process of hiring me. And maybe the miracle is that Brian & I started to warm up to the idea of me working part-time, which up until then was not an option in our minds. And maybe the miracle is that there was still an opening for a part-time job at another campus; an opening that had been posted since mid-June, before we even knew we were moving here, and they had just been too busy to even start the search. And maybe the miracle is that I was hired for that position and it happens to be at a residential campus that sits on a bluff overlooking a beautiful valley with Mt. Sopris as the backdrop, where deer literally roam freely on campus. *Swoon*

Or maybe the miracle is that God knows our desire to live a more simple life and has used this situation to help wean us off of our desire to make lots of money in order to feel comfortable in life. Maybe this is God's way of reminding us that we have everything we need (and much, MUCH, more) and that we need to take the time to actually enjoy what we have and trust HIM for everything else.

I don't know if any of that can technically be classified as a miracle. All I know is that this is not where I plotted myself to be and that's important to remember. I already feel very fortunate that I get to continue my career in higher education, in a beautiful location, for a school I believe in. I feel very, undeservedly cared for. 

In addition, my dog is incredibly happy I won't be gone all day-every day. Maybe this is HER miracle...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jaime Needs...

Dude, 2022 was Intense

February 16, 2011