Newest Non-Human Family Member

We unknowingly got a taste for what the adoption process will feel like.

Last Wednesday, I was reading the local paper when I glanced at the ads and a cute little face caught my attention.



We weren't necessarily actively searching for a new dog but she was so cute that I just had to send it to Brian, mostly as a joke. We kind of laughed about it but then a few hours later HE sent me more information he’d found on her. This lack of dismissal meant there was a good chance we might get to adopt her! He told me to go ahead and submit the application on our lunch break while he ‘pretended to hate the idea’ (his quote). She was living in a foster home in Aspen and we learned that there was a very rigorous process we had to go through in order to be considered and approved as her forever home.

There was the very lengthy application.
Brian was contacted by the adoption coordinator and had a phone interview.
We had to provide references.
We had to arrange to go to the Foster home in Aspen so we (and Stella) could meet Cotton and for the Foster mom to ask us questions and see if we’re a good fit.
A vet came to our home to do an inspection to make sure it’s a good/safe living environment.

All of these things happened with lag time in between and it was pretty torturous (as torturous as wondering if you’ll get to spontaneously adopt a dog can be- I realize this is small beans, folks). Feeling judged for 1 week is not a fun thing to experience. You question everything you've said, everything you've done, and you question if you’re worthy of having a dog. A DOG. I’m a 32 year old, responsible adult, who has successfully taken care of 3 other animals for many years. It didn't matter. I questioned it all. The whole process messed with my mind so much that when we got the email that we had been approved, I was excitedly on the phone giving my mom the good news like we’d just won the lottery or something. Looking back, I realize it's weird. People get new dogs all the time, but we EARNED this one.

We are picking her up this afternoon and she is A-DORABLE, so you get to look forward to rolling your eyes and gagging at all her facebook pictures soon enough.

Now, if only the child adoption people would decide to use the home visit results at Lucky Day Rescue and exempt us from needing another one. Kids and dogs need similar environments, right? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jaime Needs...

Dude, 2022 was Intense

February 16, 2011